Residential Inspections Prior to Sale
Effective July 1, 2005 all residential dwellings are required to have the exterior inspected prior to sale of the property. A Certificate of Approval shall be valid for one sale or transfer of a dwelling. A new inspection shall be required each time the dwelling is sold or transferred.
Complete and remit resale application form to the Building Department along with the $150 inspection fee. Once this is received the inspection will be scheduled the next available date.
- After original inspection is completed the report will be mailed to the applicant. The applicant should receive the report within five working days from the date of the inspection.
- The violations must be completed within 6 months from the date of the inspection. Should the home sell before the violations can be completed, the purchaser will need to sign an as is affidavit stating they will assume responsibility of the violations. A temporary Certificate of Approval will be mailed to the purchaser for closing purposes when the affidavit is received. Please allow five working days to receive this Certificate.
- Once approved, the Certificate of Approval will be valid for 1 year from the original inspection date.
- Included in the resale exterior inspection fee of $150 is the original and follow-up inspection. Should a third inspection be needed, the Building Department may assess a $50 reinspection fee.
- Certificate of Approval applications along with the checklist and affidavit forms are available below and in the Building Department located in City Hall at 1355 Southfield Rd., Lincoln Park, MI 48146.
NOTICE TO REAL ESTATE AGENTS AND HOMEOWNERS:
City of Lincoln Park Resale Inspection Policy:
It is the policy of the City of Lincoln Park Building Department to send all original inspection reports and Certificates of Approval via the United States Post Office to the applicant. Additional copies are available five working days after the inspection has taken place.
Preliminary copies of an “as is” affidavit assuming responsibility to correct building maintenance violations will not be provided under any circumstances.
To avoid delays with your closing, please be sure you have either the Temporary Certificate or Certificate of Approval in hand before scheduling your closing.